Monday, November 4, 2019

memes


It was difficult for me at first, finding a group to do the culture assignment with as a large majority of people in my class had already chosen a different type of project or were already in groups of three, which was the most a group could have for an assignment. Eventually I was able to join a group made up of myself Bernard MacDonagh, Aleks Smyczynski and Godwill Ndifor. However I had to ask my lecturer Shawn if it was okay with him because Aleks was in my first group during the creativity assignment and he said at the beginning of the year that we could not work with the same group we were a part of for the last assignment, however he said that it was okay as long I really wasn't able to find a different team to do the assessment with. Once that issue was resolved we all decided to do a project on memes and their history for our culture assignment. More specifically, we decided to work on the underrated memes, the ones that have been forgotten and do not get a lot of attention anymore today and to talk about their effect on social media, society and what kind of effect memes have on the general public.

It was decided that we would work on Yugoslavian war memes, slice of life memes and African memes as well as the history of memes. We would then come together with all the research we had on all four aspects and then integrate our finding into the project. We would then simplify it all into power points to make it easier to present when we had to present it to people in class. However, we were all having a hard time finding any information on memes about Africa so after a while we decided to replace the African meme idea with memes about Area 51. This was much easier as it was a bit more recent, most of them were about the “Storming Area 51” event and how it was going to fail. I was surprised by just how many people actually went to Area 51. Personally, I think most of them just went for the festivals than to actually storm Area 51 itself. Regarding memes about the Yugoslavian war, I was having a difficult time finding memes on the subject what I was able to find was a song and a slice of life meme which eventually became a society meme. 

No comments:

Post a Comment