Monday, October 21, 2019

Brief for GIFs


                                                         BRIEF FOR GIF'S


While I was doing research for the project, I found out a lot about GIFs. A GIF is a lossless format for image files that supports both animated and static images that was developed by a team at the online services provider CompuServe led by American computer scientist Steve Wilhite. GIFs are a lot older than I had originally thought being created in the 1980s. I had no idea that it wasn't till 2009 that they became popular. Before this I always thought GIFs where made for memes however there is much more to it than that. When you use the tools correctly you can create some amazing pieces of art out of GIFs, like Lilly Padula, and tools to improve it like Kevin Burg. It wasn’t until the 1990s that it was actually considered a type of art style when MTAA, a two-person artist collective, designed a GIF called “Simple Net Art Diagram” in 1997, which led to a chain reaction with many people making GIFs just like it each with their own unique spin on them. A perfect example being “Art Happens Here” a GIF designed in 2008 which states that art is found in the body and heart.  More importantly, I did not realize just how much work it takes to design a GIF until I had to research how to make one myself.    

I also never knew that it only gained its popularity in 2009 through the use of social media sites such as Tumbler, Reddit and Facebook. Another thing that I discovered was just how many different tools and file formats that were designed to make or help create GIFs like Cinemagraph created by Kevin Burg which are still photographs in which a minor and repeated movement occurs, forming a video clip and are published as an animated GIF giving the illusion that the viewer is watching an animation, and the files like PMG and MNG along with how the LZW compression algorithm, which compresses the file into a smaller file, was with its 2 to 256 colours and the RGB values it uses where red, green, and blue lights are added together in various ways to reproduce a broad array of colors. GIFs also became popular because of how easy they were for regular people with no previous experience to make them for themselves.  

This will be myself and my groups very first presentation and I am aware that we may make many mistakes, but I hope that myself, Aleks and Jack, can learn from these mistakes and improve so that we do not make the same mistakes again in our future presentations. This presentation has also taught us how to better work as a group, with other people rather than just working by ourselves and how to communicate and interact with our fellow classmates.  

No comments:

Post a Comment